Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TTT] Terror Mart - Development
So I was inspired - to make a TTT map to pay homage to our favorite (/sarcasm) chain of hypermarkets - Walmart.

After some consideration, and looking through the available textures/props/etc, I think it'd be best to rename it "Terrormart" (With a bandit-smiley as the logo) and well, to make it more... "terrorist"-like (AKA - sells guns, bombs, etc.)

If anybody wants to help/offer advice/comments/questions/etc. feel free to post here. I will also keep a running series of sceenshots documenting its progress.
[Image: XmM2GJ6.png]
Alright please when you make this map try as hard as you can to insert TTT functionality, such as traitor testing functionality and buttons. A great community example is the community (who i wont name) that made 67thway. It is well optimized, well lit, implements TTT fuction and can stabalize a 300 fps on a decent computer. Reference to that when making your map rather than a disaster like minecraft ttt maps.

And theres already a gmod walmart map I'm fairly certain.
(02-16-2013, 03:51 AM)Taurvi link Wrote: So I was inspired - to make a TTT map to pay homage to our favorite (/sarcasm) chain of hypermarkets - Walmart.

After some consideration, and looking through the available textures/props/etc, I think it'd be best to rename it "Terrormart" (With a bandit-smiley as the logo) and well, to make it more... "terrorist"-like (AKA - sells guns, bombs, etc.)

If anybody wants to help/offer advice/comments/questions/etc. feel free to post here. I will also keep a running series of sceenshots documenting its progress.

What are you going to code it in? C? Lua? xD
[right]<br />Nekomimi <3<br />[Image: c083cd6cd930bd8f2aea09125354b272]<br />[quote='Tenryuu' pid='' dateline='1405037305']Shymapler asked if she was the one at fault since Taurvi acted ready to accept her and why she was so wet
What causes maps like Minecraft to lag so much for lower-end/older computers? I've heard "skybox" repeated over and over, but other than that, I have no real idea.

LUA actually is what I have in mind - given that I have a slightly stronger background there than with C. Although if somebody wishes to help with the coding, then whatever works.

I tried looking for a good "walmart" map, but I haven't been able to find one or one that is decent.

Here's what I have in mind for a few features (not sure how difficult they will be to code as I'm still thinking them up):
- A traitor tester (I really like the one that was in a new map Talmera implemented - the one with a very interactive interface, and I also like the idea of requiring another item, perhaps fruit of some sort? lol.. to activate the tester)
-- I was thinking that the tester can be sabotaged, but I'm not sure in what way yet.
- A detective room (manager's office?)
- A traitor room (basement section perhaps)
- A lotto machine (Detectives and Traitors can put in a credit for a low chance to win multiple credits)

DAY 1:
Ext 1
Ext 2
Int 1
(02-16-2013, 04:11 AM)Taurvi link Wrote: What causes maps like Minecraft to lag so much for lower-end/older computers? I've heard "skybox" repeated over and over, but other than that, I have no real idea.

LUA actually is what I have in mind - given that I have a slightly stronger background there than with C. Although if somebody wishes to help with the coding, then whatever works.

I tried looking for a good "walmart" map, but I haven't been able to find one or one that is decent.

Here's what I have in mind for a few features (not sure how difficult they will be to code as I'm still thinking them up):
- A traitor tester (I really like the one that was in a new map Talmera implemented - the one with a very interactive interface, and I also like the idea of requiring another item, perhaps fruit of some sort? lol.. to activate the tester)
-- I was thinking that the tester can be sabotaged, but I'm not sure in what way yet.
- A detective room (manager's office?)
- A traitor room (basement section perhaps)
- A lotto machine (Detectives and Traitors can put in a credit for a low chance to win multiple credits)

DAY 1:
Ext 1
Ext 2
Int 1
Im running some high end shit and the newer ttt maps get me 50fps when at high points in relation to the surface of the map
(02-16-2013, 04:20 AM)Fogell link Wrote: [quote author=Taurvi link=topic=1332.msg13280#msg13280 date=1360987873]
--snip quote--
Int 1
Im running some high end shit and the newer ttt maps get me 50fps when at high points in relation to the surface of the map
[/quote]

I run TTT on a laptop - every map runs at about that FPS for me. Though the drop off is really interesting. The crappy "skybox" I'd imagine, plays a huge part to why the minecraft maps have lag issues. Perhaps entities such as the dynamic torches? I don't think a ton of props would be an issue, as I've seen maps with a lot more than the minecraft maps...
It's not so much that Minecraft has a skybox, but that it doesn't have a skybox.  Right now the map has a bunch of water that extends out a long way, and just that causes a lot of the fps issues.  If the water past a certain point was put in a 3D skybox, that along would increase the fps because the skyboxes are scaled up, meaning there would be less water to render.  Even better would be having a non-animated water texture in the 3D skybox.

So, for this map, I think you would have to put the surrounding city/town in the skybox and limit how far out we can go past the shop.  Maybe some sort of fencing or a police blockade (because we're all terrorists, that would make sense Tongue).
[img width=356 height=200]https://i.imgur.com/ylwUtfK.jpg[/img] &lt;== Click me!
Hi 3 year mapper who knows his shit here, what engine are you building the map in, in hammer? (I ask so I know what you have access to by default.)

Secondly water is actually a pretty low resource asset so please people who have never optimised a map before please butt out. The reason minecraft lags is because of poor optimisation in the final step.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo<br />A wake up call<br /><br />Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde
Yes, I'm using Hammer.
(02-17-2013, 09:44 PM)Taurvi link Wrote: Yes, I'm using Hammer.

I know you are using hammer I asked what engine config you set in the SDK menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo<br />A wake up call<br /><br />Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde