Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with starting to learn to map
Hey so I am starting to mess around with Hammer and looking to spend the next week familiarizing myself with things like specific measurements, making rooms with lighting, doors, traps, windows, etc. I think I am going to just try and make something like a three story building that includes these features just to get a hang with it. I have a couple questions though and was also looking for just any general pro tips you may have. I'm really new so sorry for asking noob questions and I am sure I will have more as I go on learning.
  • When I start up Source SDK, what should my setup be? HL2? CSS? source 2009? Source MP? Should I add Gmod instead?
  • Adding windows; someone mention not to use the carve tool to put windows into walls. How should I do this then? Same with if I want to add a door to a wall.
Hm, yeah I'm trying to get into hammer to get used to it so I can show people how to use this SDK to make stuff, I can't seem to get it open lol,
has a lot of errors oddly enough
(05-08-2013, 02:51 AM)Timo The Dwarf link Wrote: Hm, yeah I'm trying to get into hammer to get used to it so I can show people how to use this SDK to make stuff, I can't seem to get it open lol,
has a lot of errors oddly enough

Yeah Using Source MP for me works but when I compile it gives me an error saying ti need to update, than fails to work and then wont even start up after I close it. But using Source 2009 for HL2 works fine without problems. But I dont want to get too far into practice ampping and find out I should be mapping in Source MP.
To make windows, I just mold the walls to reserve a hole, then create more brushes to link up with the rest of the wall.
(05-08-2013, 03:12 AM)Xusiant link Wrote: To make windows, I just mold the walls to reserve a hole, then create more brushes to link up with the rest of the wall.

So The tut i watched showed to just make the window, put it into the wall where you want it and hit carve. any reason against this? Someone on the server told me not to do that.
I remember somebody saying that carve completely fucked up their wall.
(05-08-2013, 03:27 AM)Xusiant link Wrote: I remember somebody saying that carve completely fucked up their wall.
So than do you just make four seperate walls, place them around a hole for the window, and then line up their textures?
That's what I do, yeah. Select all of the sides of all 4 walls and you can make the textures align from the UV mapping menu or something.
NEVER EVER USE THE CARVE OR MAKE HOLLOW TOOLS EVER, EVER, EVER.

They will royally fuck your map's grid alignment and will inevitably lead to bad brushes, leaking, and other stupidity.

If anyone's intersted in getting tutorials on mapping or just someone to bounce screenshots and questions off of, you can add me on steam @ audiphoria. I'll be glad to answer any questions, explain how to do stuff, and stream for you. I'm also available in my teamspeak to explain things verbally (it's easier for me) if you connect to lapis.b-w.me and poke me so I can set your access. If you get asked for a password, it's beep.
Sonador please teach me to map.
[Image: puss-in-boots.png]