Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steam login Integration.
Hi as the title says I am toying with the idea of using your steam account to login to the forums, I've been doing a bit of looking around and it looks like it can be done but I'm not sure how well it would integrate with existing accounts nor how you all feel about it?

To set your fears of me stealing your accounts aside the login process would be the same as garrysmod.org it would take you to official steam servers to login and if it succeeded the servers would return your 32/64bit id along with a confirmation code. in no way, shape or form do I ever see your login details, here is the site for devs doing exactly what I'm thinking about http://steamcommunity.com/dev

Benefits:
  • easier server integration
  • neater database structure
  • make it easier to see who you are on server
  • much harder for banned people to proxy into
  • almost 0% chance of bots
  • gateway for cross platform perks
  • almost no sign up time
  • I can disable the proxy blocker fully
  • overall restrictions loosened
  • less confusing time for VIPS

Downsides:
  • not sure how current accounts would transfer over to new logins
  • no idea how it will turn out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo<br />A wake up call<br /><br />Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde
The upside to this, is that you'd be able to incorporate donator / shop bonuses much easier and quicker on the server, as you said previously. I approve of this usage.
(05-26-2013, 12:19 PM)Mephis link Wrote: The upside to this, is that you'd be able to incorporate donator / shop bonuses much easier and quicker on the server, as you said previously. I approve of this usage.

+1 for me aswell

Edit - would this change your name to? Like if changing your name on steam would change your name on the forums to.
(05-26-2013, 12:25 PM)CruC|Chiliagon link Wrote: [quote author=Mephis link=topic=1889.msg21252#msg21252 date=1369570751]
The upside to this, is that you'd be able to incorporate donator / shop bonuses much easier and quicker on the server, as you said previously. I approve of this usage.

+1 for me aswell

Edit - would this change your name to? Like if changing your name on steam would change your name on the forums to.
[/quote]

i don't know. it's still in the very early stages of research.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo<br />A wake up call<br /><br />Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde
(05-26-2013, 01:01 PM)Talmera link Wrote: [quote author=CruC|Chiliagon link=topic=1889.msg21253#msg21253 date=1369571105]
[quote author=Mephis link=topic=1889.msg21252#msg21252 date=1369570751]

+1 for me aswell

[/quote]

i don't know. it's still in the very early stages of research.
[/quote]

ah, well I say give it a try. I mean whats the worst thing that could happen.
Not sure about this, for some reason every site I use that requires steam login gives me Steam Guard warnings EVERY TIME I log in, and I have to go through all the email shit. Keeps saying I am using a new browser ;_;
3:05 PM - Hamburger Time: Ghandi is overrated.<br /><br />3:05 PM - Hamburger Time: He wasn't a saint like everyone thinks,
(05-26-2013, 02:10 PM)Rolling link Wrote: Not sure about this, for some reason every site I use that requires steam login gives me Steam Guard warnings EVERY TIME I log in, and I have to go through all the email shit. Keeps saying I am using a new browser ;_;

Stop clearing your cookies Tongue.

Very interesting idea hmm... I'm pretty sure there should be a way to link current forum accounts to a steam account provided we use a forum mod (presuming somebody else has already thought of it). I like it though. Any idea how it will deal with people who frequently change their name?
[Image: XmM2GJ6.png]
I personally like this idea.

(05-26-2013, 03:03 PM)Taurvi link Wrote: [quote author=Rolling link=topic=1889.msg21260#msg21260 date=1369577405]
Not sure about this, for some reason every site I use that requires steam login gives me Steam Guard warnings EVERY TIME I log in, and I have to go through all the email shit. Keeps saying I am using a new browser ;_;

[/quote]

But Taurvi I auto clear everything on my browser every day, for reasons...
Balloon, Robot, Kitty, Cupcake.
(05-26-2013, 04:35 PM)gildedGallows link Wrote: I personally like this idea.

[quote author=Taurvi link=topic=1889.msg21265#msg21265 date=1369580620]
[quote author=Rolling link=topic=1889.msg21260#msg21260 date=1369577405]

[/quote]

But Taurvi I auto clear everything on my browser every day, for reasons...
[/quote]

Then don't complain when you have to relogin every single time. Not every cookie is malicious, and unless you have something to hide, there shouldn't really be a reason to have to clear them Tongue
[Image: XmM2GJ6.png]
What about making it like a facebook intergration? You make an account here and then you link it up with your steam account? If possible that is. I'm +1 for this idea though.
[right]<br />Nekomimi <3<br />[Image: c083cd6cd930bd8f2aea09125354b272]<br />[quote='Tenryuu' pid='' dateline='1405037305']Shymapler asked if she was the one at fault since Taurvi acted ready to accept her and why she was so wet